NYSWCA State Tournament Format Proposal View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
NYSWCA State Tournament Format Proposal

armdrag
Site Admin
The NYSWCA State Tournament Format Proposal posted on the front page is excellent. It solves most of the problems we see in the State tournament today, and I hope it's accepted.

The only thing that I would suggest is to modify the formula slightly. I think that the "Pct. of Total" column should be adjusted to account for the size of the schools in each section. Section 5 might have the most schools, but we also have a high number of small schools. Sections 8 & 11, on the other hand (& I'm guessing), have a larger number of big schools even though the total number of schools might not be as high.

For example, I'll make up some numbers because I really don't know the truth. Section 5 has 80 schools with wrestling. 27 have enrollments over 600, leaving 53 with enrollments under 600. Section 11 has just 51 schools, but I'm guessing that most if not all have enrollments over 600. It varies, but I say that larger schools should count about double what smaller schools count. So, if we double the large school numbers for each of these two sections, that would yield 27+27+53 = 107 adjusted schools for Section 5, and 51+51 = 102 adjusted schools for Section 11. In that case, I think they should each send equal numbers of wrestlers to the State tournament. But the proposal has Section 5 sending 4 wrestlers to States and Section 11 sending only 3.

In other words, I think a weight should be applied to the percentage formula so that the denser sections don't get shafted. History and common sense will tell you that larger schools churn out a higher number of top-notch wrestlers than do smaller schools. For that reason, more consideration should be given to those sections with high population densities.
Page 1 of 1