McGillivray 2007-2008 View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
McGillivray 2007-2008

mcgilldc
Daniel is 10/0 with 8 pins. We went to a dual tournament the week of (12/1/07) where the team placed 4TH out of 10 teams. The week of (12/8/07) was our first individual tournament and Daniel took 1ST place (see link) http://www.mdwrestling.net/mdwmb/viewtopic.php?t=6180
This week (12/15/07) is another dual tournament, I'll keep you posted.

I sent a copy of a news paper article to ARM DRAG to see if they could post it here.

ATM 2000
Very nice GOOD LUCK Dan

sectionvrocks
He's a Junior now, right? What weight is he going? Man they could sure use him at GV!!!

mcgilldc
Yes he is a junior and he is weighing in at 157 and wrestling 160 or 171, wherever the coach needs him to go. I’m not sure if he will wrestle at 152 or 160 for the post season but I’m sure it will be wherever the toughest weight class is.

GV needs a lot more help then Daniel and I could give them.

He just finished this weekend 5/0 with 4 pins.
His first match was at 160 against Lake Braddock VA and he got a pin in 1:17, his second was at 171 against James Madison VA and he got a pin in :16, his third was at 160 against Methacton PA and he got a pin in :24, his fourth was at 160 against Paulsboro NJ and he got a pin in :23, his fifth was at 171 against Westfield VA and he got a 6-0 decision.
This puts him at 15/0 with 12 pins.

mcgilldc
Daniel has been doing great this year. He is 26-1 and is ranked 1st in the state in our division. He won 1st place at the Manassas Park Invitational by pinning his way through. On January 16th, we went to Osborn High School for a quad meet and wrestled 4 times pinning his way through that too. He pinned one in the 1st period and another one in 12 seconds, which is his new record this year. He had a hard match against Bobby Gray pining him in the 2nd period. Bobby was wrestling at 189 pounds but weighed in at 171 pounds.

raider543
how is dan doing now??

mcgilldc
Daniel finished the regular season at 38/2 with 27 pins; here is the breakdown of the 38 wins.
• 21 (first period pins)
• 4 (second period pins)
• 2 (third period pins)
• 1 (17-1 Tech fall)
• 2 (majors decisions 15-2 & 11-2)
• 2 (regular decisions 9-4 & 6-0)
• 6 (forfeits)

His two losses were as followed.
• First lose. He was bumped up to 171 to face an undefeated kid who was 19-0 at the time; Daniel was 160 and undefeated as well at 17-0. In the 1ST period the kid took Daniel down and Daniel got an escape and was taken down again, end of first period 4-1. The same thing for the next two periods, Daniel looses 12-3 (6 taken downs and 3 escapes).
• Second lose. Daniel tries a front headlock roll and gets stuck on his back for a quick two count so the other kid gets 2 for the takedown and 2 near fall points, end of first period 4-0. Second period Daniel chooses down and gets a reversal, the kid stalls the rest of the period, end of second period 4-2. Third period the other kid chooses down, Daniel can’t turn him or he stalls either way Daniel looses 4-2. I’m not going to say the other kid stalled, he did what he needed to do to win, although other people say he stalled.

Post Season District Tournament was on 2/16/08 (equivalent to the NYS Class Tournaments). Daniel was the number one seed and takes 1ST place with a first period pin and an 8-2 decision in the finals.

Post Season Regional Tournament was on 2/23/08 (equivalent to the NYS Super Sectional State Qualifying Tournament). Daniel was the number one seed and takes 1ST place with 2 first period pins and a third period pin in the finals.

Post Season State Tournament is on 3/7-8/08, results TBA……

Daniel’s record so far this season 43/2 with 31 pins, career 178/25 with 132 pins.

LQQKICU
mcgilldc wrote:
Daniel finished the regular season at 38/2 with 27 pins; here is the breakdown of the 38 wins.
• 21 (first period pins)
• 4 (second period pins)
• 2 (third period pins)
• 1 (17-1 Tech fall)
• 2 (majors decisions 15-2 & 11-2)
• 2 (regular decisions 9-4 & 6-0)
• 6 (forfeits)

His two losses were as followed.
• First lose. He was bumped up to 171 to face an undefeated kid who was 19-0 at the time; Daniel was 160 and undefeated as well at 17-0. In the 1ST period the kid took Daniel down and Daniel got an escape and was taken down again, end of first period 4-1. The same thing for the next two periods, Daniel looses 12-3 (6 taken downs and 3 escapes).
• Second lose. Daniel tries a front headlock roll and gets stuck on his back for a quick two count so the other kid gets 2 for the takedown and 2 near fall points, end of first period 4-0. Second period Daniel chooses down and gets a reversal, the kid stalls the rest of the period, end of second period 4-2. Third period the other kid chooses down, Daniel can’t turn him or he stalls either way Daniel looses 4-2. I’m not going to say the other kid stalled, he did what he needed to do to win, although other people say he stalled.

Post Season District Tournament was on 2/16/08 (equivalent to the NYS Class Tournaments). Daniel was the number one seed and takes 1ST place with a first period pin and an 8-2 decision in the finals.

Post Season Regional Tournament was on 2/23/08 (equivalent to the NYS Super Sectional State Qualifying Tournament). Daniel was the number one seed and takes 1ST place with 2 first period pins and a third period pin in the finals.

Post Season State Tournament is on 3/7-8/08, results TBA……

Daniel’s record so far this season 43/2 with 31 pins, career 178/25 with 132 pins.

Good for him and good luck the rest of the way.

generico321
He should wrestle Austin Meys of NY, that would probably be a great match.

raider543
how did he do this weekend??

mcgilldc
Daniel did great this weekend, 2X State Champion now. He pinned his way through the state bracket, all in the first period, :59, :51, 1:03, 1:14

Here is a link to the Washington Post; I also pasted the article below.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/08/AR2008030803039.html

VIRGINIA AA/A WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIPS
Manassas Park's Tran Finally Has His Day

By Jeff Nelson
Special to The Washington Post
Sunday, March 9, 2008; Page D10
SALEM, Va., March 8 -- When Manassas Park Coach Ward Hugh needed to find a 103-pound wrestler two seasons ago, he looked around his physical education classes and finally settled on someone who had never stepped on a mat.
Thien Tran, then a freshman, was a cross-country runner with a strong work ethic and the right size. He also turned out to be a quick learner and a selfless teammate.
Now he's a Virginia Class A champion. So are the Cougars, for the fourth time in five seasons.
"I feel like I'm part of something big," said Tran, who didn't qualify for the state tournament as a freshman or sophomore. "And I did my part."
Sophomore Maximo Gonzalez (112 pounds), junior Daniel McGillivray (160), and seniors Elmar Aparicio (215) and Austin Wren (285) also won state titles for Manassas Park, which had clinched the team championship before the individual finals began.
Last season, the Cougars had a streak of three straight titles snapped, and Tran could only watch it happen from the stands; for the second season in a row, he had moved up a weight class for the good of the team and taken his lumps.
The first season, a former 103-pound state champion moved back into Manassas Park's school district, and Tran -- who might have weighed 100 pounds on a good day, filled the team's 112 spot.
The second season, Gonzalez occupied the 103-pound spot, relegating Tran to 112 again. But when Gonzalez grew this season, Tran moved down to his natural weight class and had his first real chance to succeed.
"Two years in a row, he sacrificed for the team, and this is the first year he's actually in the class that's suited for him," Hugh said. "And he comes out on top and wins a state title."
Tran followed his 13-0 victory over Lancaster's Robert Wineland by burying his head in his coaches' chests and nearly crying every time he talked about the journey from gym class to state champion.
"It feels like I paid my dues and finally got my chance," he said. "And I worked really hard for it."
Hard work paid off for five other Washington area wrestlers as well.
In Class A, Strasburg senior Carlos Ortiz (189) followed last year's runner-up finish with a state title.
In Class AA, Courtland senior Ryan Sutherland (215), a third-place finisher last season, ended his career with a championship.
Also in Class AA, Millbrook seniors Wes Heavener (119) and Mike Wolterbeek (140) and junior Derrick Borlie (171) fueled the Pioneers' fourth-place finish with state titles.
Millbrook had one individual state champion in its five-year history before Saturday.
"We were on the bus last night headed back to the hotel," Wolterbeek said, "and I looked at Wes and Derrick and said, 'This is our year.' After Wes [was the first to win] today, he came up to me and said, 'You're right. This is our year.' "
Virginia AA/A Wrestling Championships Well Represented: The Washington area put 15 wrestlers in the Class A and AA finals. The only defending champion among that group, Manassas Park junior Daniel McGillivray, repeated. Army Of One: Brentsville senior Nathan Watts, a Class AA runner-up at 215 pounds, will play football next season at West Point. Virginia AA/A Wrestling Championships Well Represented: The Washington area put 15 wrestlers in the Class A and AA finals. The only defending champion among that group, Manassas Park junior Daniel McGillivray, repeated. Army Of One: Brentsville senior Nathan Watts, a Class AA runner-up at 215 pounds, will play football next season at West Point.

Here is another link to the Manassas Journal; I also pasted the article below.
http://www.insidenova.com/isn/sports/high_school_prep/article/manassas_park_cougars_regain_wrestling_crown_in_group_a/5317/
Manassas Park Cougars regain wrestling crown in Group A
By BRIAN HUNSICKER

Published: March 8, 2008
SALEM—Back when the matches didn't mean much, Manassas Park was working toward a goal for when they did. The memory of a second-place finish in last year's Group A tour-nament was still on everyone's mind, especially coach Ward Hugh, who made sure his wrestlers remembered.
With the Cougars' fourth title in five years secured on Saturday night, those memories are just that. There's another championship to celebrate.
The Cougars had second-place Glenvar—the team that had defeated Manassas Park in last year's state tournament—beaten before the finals ever began, winning the 10th wrestling title in school history by better than 50 points over Glenvar.
In Group AA, Brentsville brought four wrestlers and placed three of them on the way to a top-10 finish. Nathan Watts, the Tigers' 215-pounder, held close to Courtland's Ryan Suth-erland before losing by pin in the third period.
During a slow first period which had multiple stoppages, Sutherland took control with a takedown; though he added few other points, Watts struggled to make any headway against Group AA's top-ranked 215-pounder. With just over a minute left, Sutherland held a 5-2 lead but ended the match early with a pin.
For Watts, the loss wasn't as devastating for some as it may have been for others. In his second year of wrestling, Watts said making a state final was beyond his expectations.
"I really surprised myself that I got to the finals," Watts said. "I left it all out there on the mat."
Manassas Park went 5-0 in the finals, and only one of the Cougar wrestlers was tested. Thien Tran, in the 103-pound final against Lancaster's Robert Wineland, worked to a strong sin-gle leg and turned that into a takedown. Tran was on his way: He added four nearfall points before the first period ended and never let Wineland get on the board, winning 13-0.
One match later, Maximo Gonzalez started just as quickly—he dove for the legs of Glen-var's Tyler Tate immediately after the first whistle—and kept adding takedowns and back points. Tate could only counter with one-point escapes as Gonzalez finished with an 18-6 victory, helping to erase the memory of last season, when Gonzalez lost in the state final.
"I know what it feels like to lose," he said.
At 160, junior Daniel McGillivray did what he had been doing the entire tournament: pin his oppo-nent. Ahead 2-1 in the first period, McGillivray threw an arm across the chest of Holston's Will Necessary and slammed him to the mat, all in one motion. Seconds later, the match was over; in his four state tournament matches, McGillivray spent a total of 4:07 on the mat.
Heavyweight Austin Wren's match was also over quickly: After giving up a reverse to Washington & Lee's Ian Houchin that tied the match early, Wren countered with a take-down straight into a pin 1:11 into the match.
The only match with any drama was at 215. Elmar Aparicio went into overtime against Randolph Henry's Chris Boyd because of a late stalling call against Aparicio that tied the affair. After a scoreless overtime, the match went to sudden death: Both wrestlers scored on escapes, leading the final period, when Aparicio broke free for the match-deciding escape.
Even for another year in which the finals were loaded with Cougar wrestlers, Hugh said the devel-opment of 125-pounder Guppy Higginbottom and 152-pounder Rob Howe—both of whom quali-fied for states—were important in securing the championship for Manassas Park. Both went 1-2, but both earned bonus points that contributed to the Cougars' effort.
Both will return next season, when the Cougars won't have to worry about winning back any state titles. As has happened often enough in recent years, they'll be defending a ti-tle.
"That loss sits with you all year long. The kids worked hard last year but ultimately didn't achieve what they wanted to achieve. It was another year until they had a chance at it again," Hugh said. "And coming in this year, it was something the kids were fo-cused on. And they knew we needed everybody to be pushing all season long, be healthy, ready to go and peaking at the right time."
Page 1 of 1